02 August 2009

Adjustment

(posted by: stacy)

Note: Please pardon my punctuation, I am using a Spanish keyboard. :)

So, we are finally settling in to what is now our new home. After several months of reading, dreaming, and planning, I have come to realize that, honestly, all of that was pointless. A book or DR1.com could not prepare me for this country or its people. Nothing could prepare me for the language barrier, or the fact that I cannot wear my ring in public, or the fact that nothing that I expected has happened. But, despite all of this, I am finding that I really do love it here. I say love loosely...perhaps I should say I am learning to love it here.

We spent the last two days exploring the city, trying different restaurants, and getting used to using pesos. The city is very loud, very humid, and very dirty. It is hard to navigate, dangerous to cross the streets, and confusing for the English speaking foreigner. Nevertheless, I am learning to appreciate this Caribbean city and the hustle and bustle that will be a part of our lives for at least a year. The people are friendly, there is music everywhere, and most people seem happy, despite their economic conditions. I love seeing people playing checkers on the streets or dancing in a convenience store.

Today, we took an express buss to Boca Chica. These mini buses are shared by about ten or fifteen other people and are fairly inexpensive. In total, it took us about thirty to forty five minutes to get to Boca Chica, which is the closest swimming beach. We ate lunch at the beach, then went swimming in the warm Caribbean ocean...it was lovely!

After we took the express bus back to Santo Domingo, we walked through China town,then through a very poor part of the city, to the Colonial Zone. The Colonial Zone is a very busy market that houses vendors, stores, restaurants, fast food, and all kinds of entertainment. During dinner, a marching band came through the Central Ciudad and I was able to catch some of it on video. Unfortunately, I am unable to access wireless internet, so I am using the internet at our hotel and cannot post pictures.

Anyway, I will wrap this long post up once and for all! We have orientation tomorrow and need plenty of rest to be up bright and early for school. We miss you all! Please email me at stacylynnh@gmail.com if you get a chance.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! It sounds completely different from what I had imagined in my mind, too. :) I foresee you two wholly embracing the culture and 'hustle and bustle' in the coming months. Perhaps you will be able to put your ring on....or perhaps you'll have to buy a cheap plastic one to where for a while. :) Either way...you learn to adjust. Jace and I were so happy/relieved to hear of your safe arrival. =) Belle is lovely---I will be sure to follow up with this potential homegiver whose contact info you sent to me. Keep up with experiencing new places like you have in these short two days! Can't wait to hear more stories! Love you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wear
    (Though I can be anal about grammar and punctuation, I am not perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I'm sure you will learn to love the city as chaotic as it may seem now. In the next couple of weeks you will learn a lot and start to feel comfortable and find more things that intrigue you. Why is it that you can't wear your ring? I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys!

    Em - I know, it's so different, but we really like it! I'm so grateful to you for caring for Belle. I can't tell you how much it means to us. I've been looking at/showing people pictures of Belle - I just miss her so much. :( I'll be posting more when we have reliable internet! I have stories to share about the school, etc.

    Kim - you know exactly what I'm going through, don't you? I'm sure we'll adjust, it will just take some time. I can't wear my ring because people will rip off your finger to get a diamond ring! Eep! I'll post pictures asap! :D

    ReplyDelete